The Menomonie Lions Club
The Menomonie Lions Club was chartered on October 16, 1946. 14 years later, the original club purchased 29 acres of land from the Department of Transportation when I94 was being built for $1,500. This new land was to become the new Menomonie Lions’ Game Park. Over the more recent past, the Menomonie Lions’ involvement and presence in the community has grown exponentially, including over four major annual fundraisers and a host of community service and outreach projects. The Menomonie Lions are always working on a new project or event, and their success in their mission is in large part due to more than 100 members and their ability to consistently provide capable leadership and organization.
Lions Club International (LCI)
In 1917, Melvin Jones, a 38-year-old Chicago business leader, told members of his local business club they should reach beyond business issues and address the betterment of their communities and the world. Jones’ group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed.
After contacting similar groups around the United States, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917, in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the invited groups, the “Association of Lions Clubs,” and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objects and a code of ethics were approved.
Within three years, Lions became an international organization. Since then, we’ve earned high marks for both integrity and transparency. We’re a well-run organization with a steady vision, a clear mission, and a long – and proud – history.